Come to the Charlottesville, VA, Double Tree by Hilton to join us and learn safety tips for the summer and everyday with loved ones living with hearing loss. Details below in the flyer provided by Cochlear!
Come see familiar faces and meet new friends as we all gather to watch some great baseball...we hope to see you there! https://groupmatics.events/events/Virginiachapter
On April 9, 2018, several of the AG Bell VA Chapter members attended a meeting in Richmond, VA, that focused on the continued education around hearing loss. Put on by the Center for Family Involvement, the day was broken in to two sections:
- Dr. Anita Jeyamukar, an otolaryngologist, discussed Newborn Hearing Screening and Early Identification of hearing loss.
- Joni Alberg, PhD, who does public policy consulting for AG Bell, presented research around the "Social Development and Children Who Are Deaf or Hard of Hearing"
The audience was a mix of professional educators, audiologists, and parents of deaf and hearing impaired children from all around the state.
There was good research shared and conversations had around challenges. The VA Chapter of AG Bell is looking forward to contributing ideas and recommendations for all parties involved with deaf and hard of hearing children.
Join Cheryl Sale of Allied Instructional Services in Ashland, VA to receive training in Visual Phonics, See the Sounds.
What is Visual Phonics?
Visual Phonics puts into perspective not only the written form of language but the real power of language, which is sound.
It opens a door for those who do not have access to all of the learning modes; it gives them access to something that they have not had before, and it is a light going on that permits them to read, to think, to feel to learn language, and to communicate as we all communicate.
It is a great joy to us to know that since 1982 many hundreds of thousands of children and adults have used See the Sound - Visual Phonics to improve their reading, spelling and communication skills.
The Virginia Chapter of AGBell is very excited about the upcoming year and all of its possibilities! We have a fantastic and energetic team of families of children with hearing loss, adults with hearing loss, and professionals working to provide Virginia with both social and educational opportunities, as well as avenues for advocacy that will help all children with hearing loss.
BEST YET...we are currently close to 140 members statewide!!! This is amazing and we thank each and everyone of you for your support and belief in advancing Listening and Spoken Language for Children with Hearing Loss.
It is our hope that our membership will participate in these planned activities, as well as offer ideas of their own. This is YOUR organization and it is important that we meet the needs of our member. You can feel free to contact any of us at any time with suggestions, comments, or questions.
Did you know???
1) The national organization of the Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing offers FREE MEMBERSHIP to all Non-Professionals! This includes parents and other family members, as well as friends and other supporters. Your national membership automatically makes you a member of your state organization. JOIN TODAY!
2) You can find us on FACEBOOK under "Virginia Chapter of AGBell" or at https://www.facebook.com/groups/344504885905953/
- Continuity of Care Program - April 8, 2018
- Flying Squirrels Game - April 28, 2018
- Regional Members Picnics around VA - June 2018 (Dates and locations coming soon!)
- VA Chapter Meet and Greet at National AG Bell Convention in Scottsdale, Arizona - June 29, 2018
- Professional Meet + Greet for Certified AVT / AVEd and potential AVT/ AVEd Social - Locations include: Richmond at the Midlothian Capital Ale House and Tidewater (location TBD)
- Kids and Teens event at Jumpology - August 7, 2018
Save the date! August 20th we are planning our Kick-off Event in Bridgewater, VA, at the beautiful Bluestone Winery. All are welcome, and we hope you can join us. Please check-out the invitation and let us know if you can make it!